Use Case 3: OpsGenie + JIRA + HipChat in action!

Creating an alert manually and synchronizing & resolving it with collaboration, ticketing and alerting tools

OpsGenie orchestrates incident communication and resolution by synchronizing and updating various systems such as collaboration and ticketing systems. This saves huge amount of time and reduces the of chances confusion your teams may otherwise experience if your tools and systems were not connected.

Assume a user creates an OpsGenie alert manually. OpsGenie not only notifies the right people of that alert at the right time, but it can also update your systems with this information. In this use case, we show how to keep JIRA and HipChat connected with OpsGenie.

Want to try these yourself? Learn how to use the playground!

Instructions on how to use the playground for this use case:

OpsGenie side:

1. User creates an alert manually in OpsGenie.

JIRA side:

1. You can access our test JIRA account from here.
  2. The alert created in OpsGenie will create an issue in JIRA.

HipChat side:

1. In order to use our playground’s HipChat, you need to create a HipChat account and join our HipChat room using that account. Please click the link below so that we can send you a HipChat invitation email. Note that you are required to take this action just once!

Invite me to HipChat

1. After signing up to HipChat, you can use this link to enter the HipChat room.
  2. The alert created by the user will also be forwarded to HipChat.
  3. The user will close the alert using the “Close” button on the sidebar on the right in HipChat.
  4. The alert in OpsGenie will be closed.
  5. The JIRA issue will be transitioned to DONE after the alert is closed.

To see how OpsGenie orchestrates incident response, in the playground, you can take additional actions such as acknowledging an OpsGenie alert or adding a tag to the OpsGenie alert, too. The integrations for this use case are configured to update the Atlassian services with such additional action (i.e. acknowledging the OpsGenie alert changes the JIRA issue’s status to IN PROGRESS as well…). Just give it a try! :star:

So how can I check the actual configuration of this use case? When I enter the Playground, I don’t have a view on any integrations.

Thanks!

Hi Tom!

You can find a “team” for each use case, and the relevant integrations are added to each team. To see the integrations, you can go to the team dashboard and scroll down to see the integrations that belong to the team. You can see their configurations when you click them.

Does this help?

Hi Gokce!

Perfect, thanks!

How does this JIRA integration relate to what we have now? We are currently using this: https://gist.github.com/opsgenie-github/ef495030a23b4e8469c7

I’m wondering how the standard integration will work with custom workflows and such. Does the integration supersedes this gist?

Hi Tom,

The Lambda script you mentioned is certainly still a viable option. We were providing that before our new action mapping feature to achieve bi-directional integration through Lambda, instead of the integration via Marid (our integration server utility).

It all boils down to the degree of customization you need. The new integration provides flexible options and does cover the majority of use-cases, while the Lambda script is highly configurable and can be tailored to your needs but is harder to set it up.

The script by default does the following:

• JIRA issue can be created automatically when the alert is created in OpsGenie, or when a user executes a custom action
  • when you add a new note to the alert, a new comment is added to the issue,
  • when you acknowledge the alert, progress on the issue gets started,
  • when you close or delete the alert, the issue is closed as well

You can check the following sequence diagram, which I pasted from our blog post about the JIRA integration through Lambda.

Now - if you did not modify the original Lambda script - all of the above functionality can be achieved with our new, standard integration without the need to modify or host any scripts. The setup would look something similar to this:

…and a lot more actions are available by default, which can be mapped to actions in JIRA.

To sum it up: yes, the standard integration is superior, if you did not modify the lambda script provided in that gist. If you did - it depends on the custom part. If it’s unavailable in the action mapping feature, the Lambda solution is the way to go for now.

Hope this helps!

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your extensive reply! We did have to modify the script in some ways to update the transition ID’s. So you confirm what I thought, that is that the standard integration will not work in that case.

We will keep on using the Lambda and gist.

Thanks again,
Tom