Getting an alert from a monitoring tool and synchronizing & resolving it with collaboration, ticketing and alerting tools
OpsGenie has ready to use integrations with hundreds of monitoring systems. When any problem is noticed by these monitoring systems, OpsGenie alerts can be created to notify the right people.
From these alerts, OpsGenie supports creating and managing JIRA issues automatically. All alert updates such as alert acknowledgement and new note addition can be synched with JIRA by OpsGenie automatically.
Your team can get the incident updates from OpsGenie through collaboration tools such as HipChat, too. They can then take actions to resolve the incident and communicate it with others from within HipChat, just by typing a slash command.
You can configure OpsGenie’s StatusPage integration so that OpsGenie updates the affected service’s status page, too. For example, you can configure the integration in a way that OpsGenie updates the status page with new incident details just after its alert is acknowledged in OpsGenie. Likewise, you can configure it to change the status page incident to resolved when the OpsGenie alert is closed. All configurable…
You can set OpsGenie’s monitoring tool integrations in a way that it updates the source monitoring tools with all the alert details such as notes and attachments added to the alert and alert acknowledgement/un-acknowledgement information.
Want to try these yourself? Learn how to use the playground!
Instructions on how to use the playground for this use case:
- Access our test Nagios account from here using the following credentials:
- An alert will be created in OpsGenie every 5 minutes.
- The alerts will be coming from the FTP Server that Nagios monitors.
- The status of the FTP Server will be changed to CRITICAL every 5 minutes that will cause an alert to be created in OpsGenie.
- The status of the FTP Server will stay as CRITICAL for 5 minutes and then become OK for another 5 minutes.
- Every time the status of the FTP Server is CRITICAL, an alert will be created in OpsGenie.
- You can view the status of the FTP Server in Nagios by clicking here and then clicking on the “Services” tab on the left menu.
- For more information on Nagios configuration, please see this topic.
- Access our test JIRA account from here.
- The alert created by the Nagios integration will create an issue in JIRA.
- User adds a note to the alert.
- The note will be added to the JIRA issue.
- The note will be added to the Nagios alert.
- A message will be sent to HipChat indicating that a note is added to the alert.
- In order to use our playground’s HipChat, you need to create a HipChat account and join our HipChat room using that account. Please click the link below so that we can send you a HipChat invitation email. Note that you are required to take this action just once!
- After signing up to HipChat, you can use this link to enter the HipChat room.
- The alert created by the Nagios integration will also be forwarded to HipChat.
- You need to go to the HipChat room, type “/genie ack [alert tiny id]” and hit the enter button to acknowledge the alert.
i. [alert tiny id] is the tiny ID of the alert that can be found on the message that OpsGenie sent to HipChat.
- A note will be added to the JIRA issue indicating that the alert is acknowledged.
- The alert will be acknowledged in Nagios and a note will be added to the Nagios alert indicating that the alert is acknowledged.
- Access our test StatusPage account from here.
- A StatusPage incident will be created when you acknowledge the alert through HipChat.
- Nagios closes the alert after the status of the FTP Server it monitors will change to OK.
- The JIRA issue will be transitioned to DONE after the alert is closed.
- The StatusPage incident will be resolved after the alert is closed.
To see how OpsGenie orchestrates incident response, in the playground, you can take additional actions such as adding a tag to an OpsGenie alert, too. The integrations for this use case are configured to update the other services with such additional action. Just give it a try!